UK: Holiday pay and leave
Holiday pay and leave has been recently subjected to numerous case law decisions and statutes, becoming a difficult provision to manage correctly. Administering this statutory and often contractual right usually falls to payroll and HR to jointly handle and this course is aimed at both disciplines.
Commencing with a detailed explanation of the impact of influential case law and statutes and the differences between the different types of annual leave, delegates are taught how to apply these parameters to a range of circumstances from backpay to part-time entitlements. The interaction between holiday leave and sickness and maternity leave is also explored.
Who is this course for?
Payroll Administrators, Payroll Coordinators or Payroll Supervisors working in either a payroll bureau, accountancy firm or in-house payroll team who have minimum/living wage entitlement calculations as part of their remit.
Payroll Managers & HR Managers with responsibility for ensuring their organisations are compliant with minimum/living wage rates would equally benefit.
What will you achieve?
To provide delegates with the underpinning knowledge, case law and statutes which govern holiday pay and leave calculations and apply this knowledge in a range of circumstances, so they can manage this provision for their organisations accurately and professionally.
- Be aware of legislation affecting holiday pay and leave
- Appreciate the implications of the different types of annual leave entitlement - Know how to calculate entitlement for starters, leavers and part-time workers and pro-rata bank holiday entitlements
- Know how to calculate holiday pay
Before joining the CIPP as a full-time trainer in September 2019, Fiona worked in payroll in different organisations for over 9 years including her role as Assistant Group Payroll Manager for Breedon Group Services, the UK’s largest independent construction materials firm. Fiona holds the CIPP Foundation Degree in Payroll Management and the CIPD Diploma in HR Management and uses the knowledge gained in both of these within her training role to ensure that CIPP members have the information, skills and knowledge they need to keep up to date with the ever-changing payroll obligations.
- Overview of relevant legislation
- Overview of relevant case law
- Annual leave entitlements
- Identifying the three types of annual leave
- Identifying the leave year
- Calculating entitlement for starters and leavers
- Calculating holiday pay
- Defining a week’s pay for holiday pay calculations
- Calculating holiday pay
- Latest case law implications and future legislative changes
- Part-time and irregular workers
- Calculating pro-rata entitlements to annual leave
- Handling changes during the leave year
- Interaction of annual leave with other absences
- Accruing entitlement during other absences
- Carrying over entitlement due to other absences
- Record-keeping and resolving disputes
- Identifying record-keeping requirements for holiday pay and leave
What will be covered?
The legal framework for holiday pay and leave:
Case law continually produces changes to employees’ statutory holiday leave and pay entitlement, which is covered in this informative course, along with the various types of leave and the calculation of pay.